Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Mornin' Dad"


Tonight I am going to write about my dad. Sterling and I were having a chat and a few of my dad's signature phrases came to mind. So lets go through a couple of things.
Dad's Best Phrases or One-Liners

1. "Well, there is some truth to that."
This is something that usually comes up when I tell Dad something that either annoys or upsets me. I can tell he doesn't completely agree with me or want to come full on to my side of whatever disagreement I have, but he is trying to be help me out. It's one my favorite dad sayings.

2. "Love ya, bud." (pat pat pat, rub rub rub, pat pat pat)
My brothers and I like to mimic this back patting to each other as a joke, but what it really means is "remember how dad does this..." I don't know if he got this from his dad or what, but we have a good time with it. You know you have done well when Dad gives you this message.

3. "Welcome to the real world"
This is really the only one that sometimes drives us bonkers. Dad is trying to help, but this one always seems to add a slight sting. Ouch! But I think this is part of his responsibility as a parental figure.

My dad is quite the superhero. The other night someone from High School was asking about how dad can do music and BYU at the same time. I laughed. Lately Mom has decided to restrict Dad's latest business idea, but it isn't like he should be bored until then.

Dad is not only a BYU Communications professor who gets a lot of work published, but he is also a business owner. Dad is one of the owners of DrumsonDemand.com. He spends a bit of time doing that. He also is in a band called Joshua Creek. We joke around that Joshua Creek's target market is women age "24-54." A colleague of Dad's, Dale Cressman, added to that "who have breastfed." I find that hilarious because it is true. Dad is also into bees. Growing up he worked in that "field" (no pun intended) for some time and in the past two years he has continued that dream occupation. He also stills owns Hockey Player Magazine, which I run now, but he still involves himself with random phone calls.

I try to be more like my dad. He has a very interesting background and I like to learn more about his childhood. I love it when he starts to explain his songs, stories, and give light to experiences he has had. He may be involved with so many things, but he is still my dad. He is a good grandpa to Derek and a great dad to both of us.

"Love ya, dad."

6 comments:

Ginna said...

Cool entry! I love the quotes too--and the back patting. I've had a few of those back pats myself, from my own dad!
Your dad is awesome--oh and he makes a pretty darn fine uncle too.

Sterling said...

1 of those came up at dinner tonight.

K said...

Just don't start walking like your dad. Or your uncle. People who follow you in the snow will be disappointed when they find out you were never really a giant duck -

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I wish you dad would pat me...in a non-gay way obviously.

The Shark said...

I don't think you're allowed to be a father without coining some phrases like that, the ones that will haunt your children for eternity.

I still mimic my dad saying "Go to bed, Fred" all the time. And on every holiday, I repeat the often-spoken words in my head: "Marky, why do we celebrate _______ ?"