Wednesday, July 16, 2008

for our friend, Adam.

Our friend Adam informed us that he is thirsty for some Randle Re-Run.  Get out your empty mugs because this one is going to be good.  

Adam gave a shout out to Bryce's new blog yesterday and now I must comment on his spouse:

So, Adam, I have to tell you, your wife can cook.  Have you people seen her blog?  Totally inspiring.  I was in Williams Sonoma today (more on that in a minute) and could only think of her and the awe-inspiring treats she not only makes, but she takes pictures and posts instructions.  You must tell Becky that she deserves another freedom day medal.  

So it was because of Becky I went to Williams Sonoma and because of Claire's mom Jalayne (it is so unfortunate she doesn't have a blog) I bought a tapered rolling pin (pictured), a pastry cloth and a rolling pin cover.  We were over one Sunday afternoon at the Bangerter home and had a piece of Jalayne's rhubarb pie.  W-O-W.  It was delicious.  But it was beyond the concept of rhubarb and sugar; it was the crust.  It was unlike anything I had ever seen, let alone eaten.  I had to know the secrets (there had to be multiple to taste THAT good.)

Now my family can cook.  Seriously.  We have one mean apple pie that obviously has one mean pie crust.  This is not a damper on our Thanksgiving baking, it is just a way to improve what is already amazing.

Jalayne's secret, she says?  It's not in the recipe (even though I made her give it to me), but in the method.  You mix the crust in a bowl with a wooden spoon, then move it straight to a small airtight container.  Then use your pastry cloth that has been in the freezer, roll out only the dough needed (keeping the rest in the airtight container), and use a tapered rolling pin.  It is all in an effort to not emit heat that melts the fat in the dough.  Then when it is in the oven, the fat particles expand in between the flour, making for a thick, flaky crust.  

Anyway, I bought the tools yesterday and plan on making the best homemade chicken pot pie on this side of the Mississippi.  If it turns out ANYTHING like that rhubarb pie, I'll take pictures and post instructions.  But if not, I'll just have to write another post about how Becky and her amazing abilities.  

4 comments:

Adam said...

Thanks for the shout out, Nancy, and I'm sure Becky will be flattered when she reads this.

Bryce: let me know when Nancy starts cooking and you start cleaning up after her. We can commiserate together.

Bryce said...

I prefer the title "Executive Producer" or "Investor" for most of the cooking that happens.

Devri said...

Hey Nancy! I came across your blog and wanted to say HI! Your little guy is such a doll!

K said...

Okay. But this would mean that you'd actually have to cook with the tools, right? I'm with Bryce - my position here is that I'd rather be - oh, say - a critic? I could write up every meal and justify that. Or the appreciative audience (avoiding, however, the phrase "Give it up for . . . . " I have a grandson who is too good at that all ready).

If you make that crust, ummm - can I taste it?