Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Diving Boards


IMG_4172.JPG
Originally uploaded by bryce.randle
Sterling, my younger brother, is the best diving board jumper I know. He does a few sweet moves that blow my mind. This was taken last year during our week stay at the Bear Lake timeshare.

Yesterday we went to Riverside Country Club to swim. We can go there on Mondays for free because Natalie, Nancy's sister, is a lifeguard there. Mondays are family free days or something. I look forward to going every Monday this summer.

The best diving board in the world was Grandma Betty's diving board. It had this amazing spring to it. It was perfect. The noise it made will forever remain in my head. No diving board will ever match up to it. It wasn't slippery, it gave the perfect bounce. It didn't ever surprise your balance or your feet. No knee trembled at the sight of that diving board. (Although my chin might have. I think I jumped too close to the edge more than once. I don't think I ever whacked it, but I did in Grandma Barlow's pool jumping off the edge into the jacuzzi or something. My mother will have to comment on that).

Anyway, if you ever swim with Sterling, ask him to do his cool spin move off the diving board. It will blow your mind.

6 comments:

The Shark said...

If I ever go swimming with Sterling I'm going to hold his head underwater until he cranks out a new blog post.

Ginna said...

that picture reminds me of your dad jumping off the lanai or something. Grandma Betty's board truly was the best ever. The whole pool was. Isn't it sad our kids don't get to go swim there? :(

Sterling said...

Shark your wish came true. Bryce I was looking for those photo's, Thanks for the shout out! Yes Grandma Betty's Diving board is in my mind forever as well. It had a nice spring and snap sound to it after you jumped off.

Leslie said...

Yep! You jumped into the Jacuzzi (which is a trademark name by the way... and I don't remember if it was an actual Jacuzzi) to Whitney, I think and landed chin first on the tiled edge that separated it from the rest of the pool. Then we visited the Northridge Hospital ER where we met none other than Papa Doctor (although you called him Grandpa Scott). I think he ended up only doing a butterfly though. Did he stitch it? If your scar has dots, it's stitched, if not it was just butterflied. You are too old to have had it glued. That procedure was standard a few years later with another sibling.

Anonymous said...

It was me in the jacuzzi with you, or the "little pool" as you use to call it. You jumped into the pool, towards the side and were a bit too close. Totally smacking your chin. I grabbed you under the chin and pulled you out of the water and noticed my hand was full of blood. Grandpa took you to get stitches, while Grandma and I went to get you a toy... to lessen my guilt. (and THANK YOU for having me relive that guilt trip!)

K said...

Hey - even I dived off that board more than once. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it was the last board I ever dived off of. Whew. That's kind of weird.